Debt Advice

Debt Advice

Debt Advice

Here you can find answers to questions that you may have following contact from Burlington. Our aim is to work with individuals in a constructive manner to help resolve debt issues. If you have any questions that are not answered below please contact a member of our Client Services Team on 0330 900 8000.

Who are Burlington?

Burlington is a debt collection agency and judgment enforcement services provider. We provide creditors, property owners, and businesses operating in a number of other industries and sectors with debt collection and High Court Enforcement services.

What have you been instructed to do?

The reasons for our instruction can vary; however, we will usually be instructed on behalf of a creditor to discuss repayment of a debt.

Who has instructed you?

We receive instructions from a number of different creditors, including banks, motor finance providers, and judgment creditors (people who have received County Court or High Court judgments in their favour). We also receive instructions from solicitors or agents acting on behalf of creditors.

Does Burlington apply costs/charges?

Our charges vary depending on the circumstances of our instruction. You may be liable under contract with the creditor to pay costs/charges if you have breached the terms of your agreement (usually terms relating to non-payment). Where we are instructed to enforce a judgment or collect commercial rent arrears, our fees will be calculated in accordance with the Taking Control of Goods (Fees) Regulations 2014. In some cases, the creditor may pay our fees as commission on the amount we collect.

Does Burlington apply interest?

We do not charge interest on our fees. However, you may find that we are instructed to collect interest on the original debt or the judgment amount.

How can I contact Burlington?

To contact Burlington, simply call 0330 900 8000 or email If you have received a calling card from us, it will help if you can quote the reference number on the card.

If you would prefer for us to call you please complete a call back request.

How do I identify a member of Burlington Enforcement Officer?

All of our Enforcement Officers carry Burlington photo ID cards, which they will show you upon arrival. If identification isn’t volunteered, you should request it. Their ID cards have photos of the Officers, along with their full name, job title and a contact number, which you can use to verify identity.

Our Enforcement Officers will usually carry a letter of authority from our client and/or some other verification of the debt. If you have any concerns about the identity of the person who has visited you or the terms of our instruction, you should contact us on 0330 900 8000.

Why has my debt been passed on to Burlington?

Why did the creditor not contact me?

It is likely the creditor has tried to contact you to discuss missed payments. In most cases, this will be by letter and telephone. Burlington are generally instructed where the creditor has been unable to establish contact with you or where the creditor wants to escalate the debt.

How have you located my current address?

Our clients provide us with address and date of birth information at the time of instruction. We also use registered credit reference agencies to search for further addresses. If you have signed an agreement with a bank or lender, it is most likely that you will have consented to the use of credit reference agency checks at the time of signing the agreement. If we are supplied with address data by a credit reference agency for the purposes of contacting a defendant under a judgment, the disclosure of that data is lawful insofar as it is supplied for the purpose of, or in connection with, legal proceedings (or prospective legal proceedings).

Tracing is conducted in accordance with Credit Services Association guidance and information (personal data) is processed in accordance with our obligations under the Data Protection Act 1998 (as amended).

Why should I speak to you?

It is in your best interests to speak with us so we can help you to agree a repayment plan that will clear your outstanding debt and cease any further enforcement action against you. We are usually an intermediate step in collection of a debt and the creditor may decide (if they have not already done so) to take legal action against you if we are unable to resolve the situation. If judgment has already been awarded and we are unsuccessful in contacting you to arrange repayment of that judgment debt, you may find that the judgment creditor considers other methods of enforcement or even insolvency (bankruptcy) action.

If you would like to make a one-off payment by debit or credit card, you can contact us on 0330 900 8000. Alternatively, you could set up a direct debit with us to spread payments over several instalments. Please note that we may need to seek authority from the creditor before entering into a payment arrangement with you.

How much will I have to pay?

If you are unable to pay in full you can contact us to discuss your income and expenditure. We will work with you to decide upon an arrangement that is both affordable and acceptable to the creditor.

What if my financial circumstances change?

If your financial circumstances change, you should let us know so we can update our records and ensure your repayment plan is still the most suitable for you. It is our priority to ensure your repayment plan is both affordable and realistic to your current circumstances and if we set up a repayment plan, we will generally look to revisit this every three months.

What is the impact on my credit file?

If you have a County Court Judgment (CCJ) or a default notice from a finance company, it will almost certainly already have had a negative impact on your credit file.

Burlington are not required to report to credit reference agencies, so the actions we take will not affect your credit file. However, if we are able to reach a resolution with you to clear the debt, it will almost certainly help to improve your credit rating.

Where can I get a copy of my credit file?

You can use Experian or another credit reference agency to access your credit file. Experian currently offers a 30 day trial for new customers; see their website for more details and full terms and conditions.

Where can I go for help and advice?

Where can I go for help and advice?

You can contact our team to ask any questions you have regarding the action we have been instructed to take; or to discuss a repayment plan. To speak to a member of our team call 0330 900 8000.

You are contacting me about a debt that I don’t believe is mine, what can I do?

If you believe that you are not responsible for the debt in question, please contact us on 0330 900 8000 and we will do what we can to verify the debt with you or contact our client.

The person Burlington are looking to contact no longer lives at my address or has never lived at this address

If we have visited your address in error, please don’t worry. Whilst we do what we can to verify address information that we are supplied by credit reference agencies, there are occasions when the information we are supplied is incorrect. We would encourage you to contact us on 0330 900 8000 and we will carry out further verification.

Where can I seek advice on evictions?

If you are facing eviction from your property, we suggest you contact your local council to explore what housing options are available to you. For general advice on evictions, please visit this useful resource from the Citizens Advice Bureau:

What can and can’t Burlington’s Enforcement Officers do?

This depends upon the terms of our instruction (who has instructed us and for what reason).

If we are visiting on behalf of creditor prior to judgment being awarded (a non-court matter), we will probably be instructed to visit with you simply to discuss outstanding arrears. If you would rather deal with a member of our office team, you can choose to speak with us and (provided you maintain regular contact) we will continue to deal with your situation by telephone. You can also nominate a personal representative to speak with us if you prefer (provided that we have received your written authority).

If we are visiting to enforce a judgment that has been awarded against you (in most cases, with prior notice), we will be instructed by the High Court to seize goods to the value stated on the High Court writ. This does not necessarily mean that we will be seeking to remove those goods and you will be given the opportunity to pay (in most cases a payment arrangement will be an option).

Except in very specific circumstances (and with prior notice) we will not be able to force entry to a private residence (your home) to seize goods. If we are enforcing a High Court writ, we do have the power to force entry through gates and into outbuildings and to remain on the premises until we have satisfied the writ (either by removing goods or by coming to an acceptable payment arrangement).

If we are instructed to take possession of a residential property, we will be able to force entry but will do what we can to avoid this and to work with you.

If we are instructed to enforce a judgment and we are directed to commercial premises, we will have the power to force entry and to remain on those premises until we have satisfied the writ.

Why have I had my goods seized by Burlington?

If you have had goods seized by Burlington, it will be because there you have outstanding arrears on a finance agreement or because you have an unsatisfied judgment against you.

We are generally instructed by our clients to resolve the matter without removing goods. However, this may depend upon the previous attempts made by the creditor to try to come to an arrangement for payment with you.

The goods you have taken don’t belong to the defendant

If we have seized goods that belong to you, you should contact us immediately and we will explain the ‘interpleader’ procedure to you. Essentially, you will have the opportunity to stake a claim to the goods which will be put to our client who will decide whether or not to accept the claim (in which case the goods will be returned to you). If the creditor does not accept your claim to the goods, you may need to make an application to court and prove ownership. You may also be required to pay money into court pending a full hearing to determine ownership of the goods.

What should I do now?

It is important that you make contact with us so we can discuss everything with you and advise you on next steps. To contact us please call 0330 900 8000.

We understand and appreciate that speaking with a stranger regarding your finances and outstanding debt can be difficult, but we deal with this on a daily basis and our experienced team are here to help you reach an affordable and realistic solution. If we don’t hear from you there’s a good chance that the creditor might seek to escalate the matter further.

What happens if you don’t hear from us?

If you are waiting to hear from us and for some reason you haven’t, please get in touch with us by calling call 0330 900 8000.

How do I make a payment?

There are several ways in which you can pay off your debt; by making a bank transfer, by making a card payment, or by speaking to a member of our team about setting up a direct debit repayment plan.

I’m not sure how much can I afford to repay…

To work out how much you can afford to pay, use our Online Budgeting Tool. Then, once you have completed it, send a copy to us at to help us understand your finances and see how much you can afford each month.

Set up a payment plan by direct debit

If you wish to set up a direct debit please contact a member of our team on 0330 900 8000 to discuss.

Make a one-off payment by card

If you wish to make a one-off payment to settle your debt please call us on 0330 900 8000 and payment will be taken over the phone by card.

Important info

You must quote your reference number, or we may not have enough information to update our records to show you’ve made payment.

If we can’t tell which account, customer or client a payment is for, we will hold the money (called an ‘unattributed payment’) in suspense for up to 180 days. This means we won’t touch it for that time. After that time, we may keep this money.

If a customer later shows us proof that they made an unattributed payment, we will apply it correctly or refund the customer.